Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Packing Tape Stencils

Many die cut machines quickly and accurately cut paper into a desired shape.  The left over scraps can be incorporated into a card design, a scrapbook page, or another mixed media project.  To use a particular die cut image repeatedly, I often create a stencil using a die cut machine ( I prefer to use the Cuttlebug). Instructions for creating a stencil are provided in the "Technique" section.

The post cards above were created using a stencil and a small floral stamp (I think I overdid the small flower).  I started with heavy weight card stock cut 4" by 6" then inked the edges with a marker.  I used a stencil and Copic markers to add the large flowers.  The next two layers use scraps of patterned paper from a scrapbook project.  The middle strip is 2" by 4.5".

The triangle is made from cutting a 3" square in half diagonally.   The inner triangle is a 2.5" square cut from a page in a discarded book.  Another strip 1.5" by 4" is layered on the middle strip.

The text is cut from the book.  I like to find sentences which are more interesting when taken completely out of context.  You could stamp a sentiment or type and print your own.

I stamped the images (Attainable Treasures) then cut them out using an oval shape cutter.  I inked the edges before gluing to the card front.



Technique (very easy).   Start with a manila folder (I save ones that are destined for the recycle bin) or a piece of card stock and cover both sides with packing tape.  Choose the desired die cut image and follow the manufacturer's instructions for cutting out an image. That's it - you now have a stencil that you can used with acrylic paints, markers, pastels, or stencil inks.

Here are some more postcards using the same stencil and incorporating other scrap art materials.


No comments:

Post a Comment