Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Mail Makeover

BEFORE


AFTER

Through participation in several mail art swaps, I've been introduced to different methods for reusing envelopes. Instead of starting with a brand new envelope to create a gift bag or send a letter, I re-use envelopes I receive in the mail. This approach allows me to use up scrap pieces of paper and reduce the amount of envelopes being tossed into the recycling bin.

Technqiue: To make this gift bag, you begin by re-sealing the envelope. For this one, I used a glue stick to keep the flap down. To form a gusset type sack, you will need to score 1/4 inch from the edge along the top (where the envelope flap is located) and along the bottom. Fold and make a sharp crease along the score lines to form the center fold which will be tucked into the envelope to make the gusset.

I used pages from a discarded French novel to cover a portion of the envelope. Scraps of patterned scrapbook paper cover the top. I used the Cricut - Calligraphy letters to cut Happy Birthday and the star from white glossy card stock. With Copic markers, I added color to the die cuts then glued them to the front of the envelope. The die cuts help cover places where the two papers did not meet perfectly.

Use decorative scissors to make the opening for the gift items. Add a bit of ribbon to make it more festive. To close the gift bag, I put a small amount of repositionable glue on the opening. The ribbon adds a decorative touch; however, it is not needed to close the gift bag.

Here's a link to a video which demonstrates how to create a "bagelope": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj3Q54QtLgY

No comments:

Post a Comment