Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

The Hook Up


To organize my knitting and crochet supplies, I decided to make a crochet hook holder.  I found a free pattern on Raverly which called for crocheting with two strands of alpaca yarn to create a large rectangle that would be eventually washed and felted to a 7" x 15" rectangle.    

I finished my crochet hook holder in one day by skipping the creation then felting of the large rectangle by re-purposing a purse I had felted in 2007.  The purse had been stashed in my craft closet waiting for a new zipper and interior lining. 


The Steps
I ripped out the lining then cut the seams (because the purse is felted, it is similar to a heavy cloth and won't unravel). I used a straight edge to cut off the sides in order to create the 7" x 15" rectangle.



The last step was to follow the pattern to crochet a lacy strip that was hand sewn across the middle of the rectangle.  I crocheted two more thinner bands to go across the top and the bottom of the rectangle to keep the hooks from falling out.



The holder rolls up to a cylindrical shape and is held closed with a button and a short crocheted chain. It's very portable, easy to store and I have all of my hooks in one place.  I know now I have duplicate hooks that I can freecycle or give to friends.

Let me know if you need an F or G aluminum crochet hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment