Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Punching Plastic

Miss Sophia, my gray tabby, is an indoor cat which means we buy a lot of cat litter. The litter comes in large plastic containers.  Instead of recycling, I re-purposed a few by turning them into yarn totes with a few crafting tools - a Crop A Dile and a crochet hook. 



A Crop A Dile and a crocheted mesh combine to make a yarn tote.
After cutting off the handle and spout, I punched holes evenly along the rim of the plastic container.  I used a small crochet hook and nylon yarn by Omega to create a crochet mesh around the opening.  The mesh keeps the yarn inside the container. I made a long cord using acrylic yarn to use as a closure.  It is woven through the edge of the mesh. 

Even tipped over, the yarn stays inside.
The yarn tote addresses my primary concerns  - keeping the yarn clean and untangled while still being able to pull it smoothly from a ball, cake or skein.



Here's a video in which the two different types of Crop A Diles are demonstrated and compared.

No comments:

Post a Comment